Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Diamond Dallas Page Message To Chris Kanyon (Pre-Fight)

How many promoters can say they hosted a retirement match? Well, I have that claim under my belt... Actually, I have two. But like Ric Flair - no one ever sticks to their word!

In 2004, I became the booker of NWA Cyberspace in New Jersey. One of the first shows I produced was designed to be our yearly "Wrestliemania" type of event. I knew it had to be big and I knew I had to get some kind of draw. So when you're in a spot like that, you call your friends. And in this business, they are few and far between.

Diamond Dallas Page was retired from the business and working on his yoga project. He hadn't been seen since his botched run in the WWE. When I spoke to Page and asked him if he'd be interested in working for me, he said, "Fuck yeah bro! Anything for you DieHard!" That alone makes my time int he business worth the ride.

His only condition was that he had a few select guys that he was willing to work with. he had been injured and didn't want to risk making it any worse, especially on an indy level. I totally understood. When he ran down the names of guys that he wanted to work with, the name the clicked for me was Chris Kanyon.

Kanyon was one of the most underrated wrestlers in the history of WCW. He was always that "go-to" guy but never got the credit he deserved. I knew he had been battling his own personal demons which eventually claimed his life, but Kanyon was looking for one last great match. And I was lucky enough to give it to him.

Kanyon told me he wanted to go out with a bang, and if it could be against his good friend DDP, then he would be happy to call it a career. We built up the match over the course of three shows. It was a pretty slick set up if I may say so myself, especially at the indy level. And it was executed to perfection.

Part of the build up was a couple of pre-recorded promos I shot with DDP in New York. Again, this was at the indy level and there only a handful of companies willing to go the extra mile like I was. I guess that's what brought out the haters and those who tried to cripple the company. Those who can't do themselevs will do anything and everything to destroy what you have. Another prime example of why I carry the "DieHard" name!

So here is one of the promos that led into the first ever Cybercade event!



This post is sponsored in part by Nassau County Apartments & Woodmere Homes for Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors