Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blast From The Past: Flair Arrives In WWE and Confronts Hogan



I remember being a kid and hearing all the stories about Ric Flair. I grew up in Brooklyn, and didn't get NWA programming. So I heard of the legend through the pages of Pro Wrestling Illustrated. I always dreamed of a match between Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair - and in 1991, my dream came true.

When there was talk of Ric Flair coming tot he WWE, I didn't know what to think. I was baffled that NWA/WCW would let go of their top guy. After all, how I feel if the roles were reversed and Hulk Hogan walked away from the WWE (not like that almost didn't happen a handful of times). When Bobby Hennan was seen backstage at SummerSlam 1991 holding the NWA title - I knew this was going to be huge and I wondered how the WWE would build this epic clash of the titans. Eventually, the ball was dropped - and Hogan vs. Flair was only seen at house shows. I'll never understand why the match at Wrestlemania 8 was switched - but it all led to a huge disappointment for wrestling fans around the world. Fortunately, I was able to see a couple of Flair vs. Hogan matches live at Madison Square Garden during their run in the 90's - and truth be told, those matches were probably better than anything they could have worked up leading into Wrestlemania. It was MSG. It was Hogan vs. Flair. It was a house show and it was raw before RAW was raw.

One thing I'll never forget as a wrestling fan was the anticipation for these two legendary worlds to collide. And this one moment when they locked eyes face to face on WWE TV. Relive it here and leave your comments!

*********************************************

This post is provided in part by Building A Photography Website & Pro Wrestling Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors